PDA

View Full Version : Galahad Equine Surfaces

Scuzzie
02-09-12, 01:47 PM
Has anyone installed the Galahad grids?

They look like they may be a solution for me for a wash bay area and also my muddy gateways.

Brett Parbury has apparently installed at his place

I cant really find other info on the net, but was wondering how much it costs, and how easy is it to install (could I do myself?)

Bug
03-09-12, 09:22 AM
Never heard of them Scuzzie, do you have a link for folks to look at?

Roseglen
03-09-12, 09:29 AM
We used the grid that Eco bedding imported about 4 years ago at our old property in the stable yards. It was fantastic. It's not overly cheap to do as you still need to put road base down to level area then the grid, then small rocks or fines then your surface. It certainly fixed our boggy yard problem though.

lisaqg
03-09-12, 10:02 AM
Google is a great friend :D

http://www.galahadgroup.com.au/diamond-grid.aspx

Candy
03-09-12, 10:21 AM
We had a look at the website a couple of weeks ago - for my stable yards Scuzzie. Hubby wasn't convinced for the price. Not super expensive I don't suppose but I would like to see them installed somewhere before I went ahead.

Scuzzie
03-09-12, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the responses, I didn't get the chance to call from work today - one of the joys of working in an open plan office - its open!

Just trying to find the cheapest (but not nastiest) option for a washbay/tie up area, as I have nothing.

pejelo
03-09-12, 07:53 PM
I recently asked for a price on them Scuzzie & was quoted $28/sq.m at the depot. I would imagine they'd give you a washbay sized area a little cheaper than concrete with the bonus of being able to move them later if needed. Look like they'd be a simple DIY option (compared to concreting).

bluestone
04-09-12, 07:06 PM
I have just built a new stable block and have been trying to decide what to put on the floor of the boxes. I was going to do bricks with the holes facing up, then filling with sand. I read this thread and had a look at the Galahad flooring and love it. Got a quote for 3 boxes 4x4m, $1200 + $88 delivery. So my new floor is on its way and boys should be in their new beds in a week. Thanks for the thread and solving my dilemma.

Scuzzie
04-09-12, 07:45 PM
thats lovely bluestone - I am very jealous.

i too rang today - I figured I would need probably 3 x 3 metre wash/tie up. so 9sq metres. I think I was quoted just over $26 sqm so around $230. They recommended filling with about 1/2 cubic metre of 7/14 gravel, haven't got a quote on this yet.

He said I could smooth out an area, drop the grids on, and fill and it should be fine!

Sounds a bit easier than concrete

pejelo
08-12-12, 12:58 PM
Those of you that went ahead with the grids, how did they work out? I'm close to putting up our stable block & was keen on these for the floors in the stables instead of concrete. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

deliveryhorse
08-12-12, 01:20 PM
we spoke to the guys at Equitana about using the grids for our round yard but is too expensive and they were both not sure if the grids would suit our situation.
The grids are like a hard plastic with little raised squares (not hard rubber as I thought), my feeling was a horse with shoes would easily snap those raised bits off....but they assured me that the grids are totally guaranteed. They assured me that these have been tested at mines where 100ton dump trucks are used however dump trucks have rubber tyres and not steel shoes with a horses stopping/starting/spinning and galloping around - especially a breaker could catch the shoes.
For a horse wash they would be fine.

kbauer
09-12-12, 07:03 AM
Deliveryhorse we had a very similar product to this on the indoor and outdoor arena surfaces at the dressage stable I worked at here in Germany. It was great for drainage, but if you were lunging a horse on the surfaces you needed to make sure there was ample surface covering the grid stuff. If the horses shoes hit the grid while going at a canter they very often slipped over. The grid plastic and the shoes + momentum was a bad combo. Although, so long as the arena was often harrowed and never simply lunged on the same circle (hence exposing some of the grids) then it was ok.

pgr
09-12-12, 12:39 PM
that might be ideal in my backyard non grassed area the equivalent of the Simpson desert, not a blade of grass due to too much dog traffic. 3 active pointers.
If l put that down, top it with soil and grass seeds, wonder if that would be enough protection for the grass not be be churned up by dog feet.

pejelo
09-12-12, 08:55 PM
Bump - in the hope that Bluestone pops in.

black&white
09-12-12, 10:43 PM
hi scuzzie.
we have used a simular product called jacmax (??) for a section of our dairy cow laneway leading into the dairy.
Its was put into place in late may 2011.
it has 40 mm drainage gravel then the mating. the mating was then filled with limestone sand.with a couple of inch coverage, and rolled over wither a roller.
it has held up very well.