PDA

View Full Version : Which way to face a barn?

Blackwater
14-05-11, 05:50 PM
I'm currently tossing up between a row of stables and a barn. I know which direction to face a row of stables to avoid the weather but which way should a barn face? East/west or north/south?

Private Eye
14-05-11, 06:02 PM
mine face north

Levi
14-05-11, 06:17 PM
Mine runs East/West but that was more to fit in than by design. We don't really have a problem but if we have strong rain it does hit the West end door.

Dreams Of Gold
14-05-11, 06:34 PM
If you're doing a barn with 2 rows of stables & a breezeway, then face them east/west. If you're just doing a couple of stables and a tie up out front in the open, then face north.

CNFVST
14-05-11, 07:31 PM
If you're doing a barn with 2 rows of stables & a breezeway, then face them east/west. If you're just doing a couple of stables and a tie up out front in the open, then face north.

So the breezeway runs east/west?? ie the short sides of the building are on the eastern and the western sides??

Dreams Of Gold
14-05-11, 07:37 PM
Yep.

hollyoak
14-05-11, 08:14 PM
Hi Blackwater just go down the road to my friends place and have a look at hers

lou
14-05-11, 08:38 PM
Face it away from where your worst weather comes from.

Chris Hartigan
14-05-11, 08:57 PM
I would put the long sides to the West & East. A North facing wall will heat up greatly in the summer and unless you will have sufficienct stables to switch sides from morning to afternoon some of your horses are going to be uncomfortable

MollyW
14-05-11, 10:31 PM
Chris, if the wall is facing North, then the ends are East West, which allows a lovely breeze through.

Elmo's Mum
14-05-11, 11:05 PM
We're in an open area that gets quite windy, so we situated our breezeway barn facing north-south. There are big sliding doors on the southern end, which are shut in any bad weather, and esp. in winter. There's a smallish awning over the north-facing entrance, but no doors. Even if there's a wind from the north-ish (least common direction) if the doors are shut at the other end, there is no wind tunnel effect.
Our prevailing winds are from the east and west, and would drive us nuts if the breezeway was faced that way.

Klb
14-05-11, 11:09 PM
If I ever get to build my stables I want a breezeway barn facing east/west with the stables on the north side but leading out to yards which are half covered. I think that would help solve the north sun problem on the stables and ensure the yards stay as dry as possible. The corresponding roof off the southern side will be for the float. I can keep dreaming. :)

Blackwater
15-05-11, 12:09 AM
Thank you for your replies. In my situation the area the building will be built in is not overly windy and is protected somewhat by our house. I will only need two stables but also planned on having a wash and feed room in the shed so they could go on the north wall if I ran the breezeway east/west. I like the idea of an awning at one end and klb, your suggestion sounds perfect!

Hollyoak, where is your friend?

Chris Hartigan
15-05-11, 07:04 AM
Chris, if the wall is facing North, then the ends are East West, which allows a lovely breeze through.

Yes that's right Molly but for us here in Gippsland it's not a lovely "breeze". The westerlies in winter are freezing, hence all our outside boxes are facing east.

In summer, oddly enough, the easterlies are very very cool - almost cold in fact - so even on a fairly high temperature forecast day I leave some rugs on.

Of course if we can all afford good insulation, doesn't really matter which wall is where, except for those living in warmer climates and wanting to catch a breeze.

It depends on where you are located but for us here at Bayles there is no way we could have an East/West opening - the wind thru the stables would be intolerable. We added to our stables a few years ago and have put shutters between the roof and the outside wall which this week with the bad weather have been closed. When we extended the stables we deliberately left the gap between the wall and the roof for circulation but found the wind would blow our hats off if we were standing at the doorway of a stable - so much for good circulation LOL. So we had the shutters fitted and we batten down in winter.

MollyW
15-05-11, 02:53 PM
It snows here, and our barn ends face East /West. We close the western sliding door in winter and in the late afternoon in summer. The western end is usually only open enough for people access.
In summer there is a good breeze through when both ends are open.
Also morning sun from the east.
During summer the sun does not shine on the North wall, it comes up in the south east, and sets in the south west.

austgal
16-05-11, 01:04 PM
My barn, when finally started, will be east-west. I will be having solar panels on the roof facing north and hoping that these will cut down some of the heat from the roof. Also plan to have water tanks on the north side which also will help keep it cool. Depending on what area you live I think it is always wise to have a drive around, especially if in a farming area and have a look at what way others have their sheds facing. Fair bet that they will be facing away from the worst of the weather.