PDA

View Full Version : Marena bred horses..

Girlfarmer
22-05-11, 02:06 AM
Hi all :)

We have recently bought a Marena bred gelding who is a 14.3hh, 15 yo ASH by Wundurra Schyloe, he is a lovely boy & was broken in by Dale Plumb.

I remember as a young girl reading the 'Rider' magazine & the Marena stud featuring alot in the showring.

Does anyone else own a Marena bred friend??

Chris Hartigan
22-05-11, 06:17 AM
Yes - we bought a weanling Australian Pony colt many years ago at one of their sales. He is by Marena Sky Chief ( Lowlynn Silver Chief line)
His name is Marena Display and he has been very successful as a Show Hunter and of late, a super Dressage Pony, winning the EV State Dressage Novice Championship at the Dressage Festival with Sally Stelling on board.
Owned by Martine Huttley.

lou
22-05-11, 07:30 AM
Was that the Walker family?

Gary Hartigan
22-05-11, 07:32 AM
Yes Lou, it is.

Balledor
22-05-11, 08:28 AM
About the use of the past tense in these posts - just thought I should point out that Marena Stud with Maureen, Bruce and their daughter Lindy is still going strong at Wyong Creek :D

Janie
22-05-11, 08:29 AM
yep, I've driven past it many times.

Liz_richardson
22-05-11, 09:56 AM
I would have to wonder why Dale would be breaking in a Marena horse?? They usually do all their own!

Gary Hartigan
22-05-11, 10:27 AM
I would have to wonder why Dale would be breaking in a Marena horse?? They usually do all their own!

So why would you have to wonder Liz??

We purchased Marena Display as a weaner, and obviously he was not 'broken in' before he left the stud!!

Vicki
22-05-11, 11:03 AM
Shirley from this forum was the first RIDER editor...just a bit of trivia! :). So was I in it's later years, fiishing in 1982.

I have a lot magazines in storage here. I love looking at the price of saddlery back then.

Sorry to get off topic!

Liz_richardson
22-05-11, 11:52 AM
Good point Gary ... I dont think of Marena selling much youngstock mainly saddle horses!! I stand corrected!

Girlfarmer
23-05-11, 01:52 AM
Yes I knew they were still going strong :)

I used to love the Rider magazine, I still have several of them now!!

SONSBEEK
23-05-11, 06:27 AM
We have one.....marena night sky... Out of sky chief
He is 18 and is still going strong
won his division this year in the barastoc performance and won the showman, he also does a bit of pony dressage and jumps like a stag.

sonospark
23-05-11, 07:46 AM
Have always admired the Marena horses. A friend has Merena Breeze and she is just beautiful.

jpe
23-05-11, 08:45 PM
Wundurra Schyloe has sired some really lovely open galloways (and other heights) over the years, so I'm betting yours is pretty as well as useful. There have been a few shown down here in Melbourne.

maisie
23-05-11, 09:50 PM
I had a lovely big pony by Weston Sun (by Sun Puff imp) who the Walkers had at stud ofter he left Vic. This gelding was very trainable and a great worker. if the stallion had been closer I would have sent a mare or two up to him, I was so impressed.
I'm not sure if he is still alive now.

Girlfarmer
24-05-11, 10:01 PM
Wundurra Schyloe has sired some really lovely open galloways (and other heights) over the years, so I'm betting yours is pretty as well as useful. There have been a few shown down here in Melbourne.

Wow sounds like some lovely Marena stock around :)

Yes I have read a bit about Schyloe, he's a lovely boy.

Our fella is a lovely rich chestnut...will see if I can pop a photo on here!!

notsure
15-01-12, 07:30 PM
I also have a lovely Marena mare. A beautiful grey called Marena Star Shower. Her sire is Marena Sky Chief and her dam is Marena Starlit.

Marena Sky Chief certainly has sired some lovely stock. My mare's dam was a Sun Puff daughter.

My mare Star, was broken in, then put in foal to the lovely stallion Australian Stock Horse - Win D Fortitude.

She is now starting her life as a ridden horse at the age of 7 and is such a lovely natured mare.

I have been out of riding for probably almost 20 years and I remember reading my horses magazines cover to cover and loving the Marena horses, and so glad to now own one myself :)

wood park
15-01-12, 10:58 PM
maise sun (weston sun) lived with me here in geelong for a couple of seasons....he was a delight, such a lovely boy and as far as i know he is still alive back with his owner on the nsw border and still serving the odd mare or two

pepi
16-01-12, 06:50 AM
I used to absolutely lOOOVE Marena Night Life. She was from Geelong....just devine!

bluehorse
16-01-12, 08:40 AM
Congrats Girlfarmer :) I have had 2 Schyloe progeny (not Marena bred though) and both were veyr quiet and reliable and sucessful show horses. Have fun!

dara
16-01-12, 10:09 AM
I remember the Rider Magazine. It was responsible for me getting into Arabians when I saw Arabesque Sultan advertised at stud and decided to breed a couple of mares to him. Then it all took off from there.LOL

maisie
16-01-12, 08:47 PM
Wood park, I wish Weston sun was closer to me, I'd love to have him in my paddock with my girls!

jayjay
16-01-12, 09:12 PM
We have A mare Edgewood Poetry, by Marena Skycheif, she has produced a true little Auzzy Stallion for us, Edgewood Lyric, Lyric was shown for the first time at the the Australian pony owners and Breeders Show, and proudly came home with Grand Champion Australian Pony.
We love this pony with his foals are just coming out now they have his laid back no fuss temprament, we are taking his first foal now a 2 y/old to the APSB Stud Show next week.

Flightofancy
17-01-12, 10:32 PM
There is a super jumping pony getting round at the moment called Marema Comet. Pings over the fences with ease. He is A grade PC and must have a few EA points too.