Home  

Go Back   Eques Forum > General

General Everything from horses to human

Old 21-02-12, 07:02 PM

Default Copper sulphate and water troughs

Hi all can anyone tell me about using copper sulphate or trough blocks to keep water in large concrete troughs free of aglae? How much do you use? How much effect does using this have on a horse copper intake? tks
Old 21-02-12, 07:18 PM

I've heard CS works really well but I have never tried it, I have goldfish in my troughs and they do a great job of keeping them clean.
Old 21-02-12, 08:53 PM

trough blocks - but you have to put in only for the qty of the trough. I break them up into roughly 1" x 1/2" pieces, which seems fine for the troughs here, have found them to work really well
Old 21-02-12, 09:34 PM

When I worked at TB stud, we used to put 1/2 teaspoon in after cleaning the trough.
Probably a teaspoon in the large round ones. No more.
Old 21-02-12, 10:02 PM

oh my god...gold fish in the troughs...what an ingenious idea!....but what if the horses swallow them... I have one horse who I bet would try!! He just stole my mandarin... peeled it and spat the peel out and ate the rest!...

I read a John Kohnke article about CS in troughs and he suggested a quarter of a teaspoon to 200 litres of water (from memory..I think!!!)... I've tried much less in a bath/trough...and it does keep the algae at bay and I think such a tiny amount wouldn't be of any detriment to the horses.
Old 21-02-12, 10:07 PM

Pablo - I found that the fish would swim to the bottom as soon as a horse or bird went near the trough, mine actually started breeding, got quite a shock when I looked one day and my 3 fish had turned in to about 10!! It suited the neighbour as she came and took some for her troughs that were covered in algae, about a week after she put the fish in it was clean.
Old 21-02-12, 11:49 PM

Garden lime does a good job of clearing water in troughs and dams also.
Old 22-02-12, 07:24 AM

I use a level teaspoon in a fairly big, deep bath tub.
Pretty essential here at the moment due to the heat & humidity,
you scrub out, clean and fill up the bath tubs of a morning,
and it seems like you can see a faint green tinge in there by late afternoon
if you have not put the copper sulphate in...
Old 22-02-12, 09:30 AM

My husband bought some recently for our troughs because they look dirty the day after the are cleaned in this weather.

I of course read the label and all the warnings on it re over dosing if horses are on certain pastures etc etc and was game to put them in.

We have the round, green poly waterers and I am about to clean them tonight.

Do others use the block in poly troughs?
Old 22-02-12, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I read a John Kohnke article about CS in troughs and he suggested a quarter of a teaspoon to 200 litres of water (from memory..I think!!!)... I've tried much less in a bath/trough...and it does keep the algae at bay and I think such a tiny amount wouldn't be of any detriment to the horses.
You are absolutely correct I have used this method and it works a treat. John Kohnke, being an equine vet, I trust.

I don't know about goldfish, as they are actually dirty little critters, and think of the excrement in your horse's water.
Old 22-02-12, 11:26 AM

If you use goldfish, make sure the water has a high cycle rate (lot of stock in the paddock using trough or large trough), as the ammonia levels can get quite high which is not good for the fishies or the animals drinking it!

1 tsp per large black plastic trough/cement trough per month over spring and autumn has been the rule around our parts. Controls the algae and is not nearly enough to cause any negative effects on the ponies
Old 26-02-12, 03:07 PM

My grandad had goldfish is his water trough for years, think koi carp size. My brother and I used to play with them. The trough was an old metal one up of the ground and all the stabled horses drank out of it so the water was renewed several times every day. The carp lived there until one day the trough got a leak and went dry
Old 26-02-12, 03:11 PM

Have got gold fish in my troughs too. They do a fantastic job and the dogs love watching them.
Old 26-02-12, 04:31 PM

What about the goldfish poo?
Old 26-02-12, 04:42 PM

I don't think that would be too much of a problem. Think of all the stuff in dams etc.
Old 26-02-12, 09:40 PM

1kg Dolomite to a bathtub of water does the trick
Old 27-02-12, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
My husband bought some recently for our troughs because they look dirty the day after the are cleaned in this weather.

I of course read the label and all the warnings on it re over dosing if horses are on certain pastures etc etc and was game to put them in.

We have the round, green poly waterers and I am about to clean them tonight.

Do others use the block in poly troughs?

Hi Candy we've got the poly troughs and I've used the trough blocks in them heaps of times. Although, I have found that within a day or two, I seem to get a blueish film on the top of the water and when that happens, one of my horses refuses to drink from it. .... so I have to clean the film off and then he's happy.

I have also tried adding ACV after cleaning, and like the trough blocks, it only seems to last about 2 weeks before the green algae starts forming again. And I have noticed that after 2 weeks, there is still a sizable chunk of the trough block left, so it must lose it's effectiveness in that time.

I don't want to continually add the trough blocks every 2 weeks as I am a bit concerned at the toxicity levels.
Old 27-02-12, 09:56 AM

Ta Madge *waves*

I looked at mine sitting in their packets on the weekend and decided I would try in one trough next time I clean it out.
Old 27-02-12, 02:34 PM

You only need 1/4 tspn for 200lt of CS in a trough.
I added this to my troughs in early January this year and I still have no sludge or algae in my troughs and they sit in full shine.
Previously my troughs would be swimming in algae within 1 day of cleaning - going on 2 months now and have not had to clean or add any more CS.
It is very cost effective.