Home  

Go Back   Eques Forum > General

General Everything from horses to human

Old 08-02-11, 08:41 AM

Default Sand Colic - Help Please?

Hi, my friend in our laneway has a little Mini pony which is very sick with sand colic (Vet has been).
She has been told to administer Psyllium Husk but can't get it into pony as little mare doesn't want to eat anything.

Could anyone give us any other ideas which might help with this type of colic please as she loves this little pony like a child?

Would be grateful if anyone could share something helpful. Thank you.
Old 08-02-11, 09:04 AM

See John O'Leary's Horse Problems website.
Old 08-02-11, 09:58 AM

Couldn't the vet drench the pony with Pysllium? I would have imagined it would be easier?
Old 08-02-11, 10:53 AM

Yes, 13718, thanks.
I'm just going up to see E. now. The vet. left the psyllium with her, didn't actually administer anything so I have been told. Pony has been unwell since Sunday morning, has been rolling, not eating anything, vet came out on Monday.
Poor little poppet.
All I could suggest was to ring the vet. again.
Old 08-02-11, 10:56 AM

Call me dumb, but what kind of vet comes out to a case of colic and doesn't administer anything? Or am I misreading the post? If I read it right I would be calling a different vet.
Old 08-02-11, 11:16 AM

When my boys have been sick with sand the vet usually tummy drenches with paraffin oil. I also feed pysillium but I mix it with bran and molasses, however if the pony isn't eating you won't be able to get this into her.

My vet also suggested getting a large syringe, cutting the end of it and plugging it with molasses and mixing the pysillium into a paste and syringing it down the horses throat, however this was following a paraffin drenching.

Can you get the vet back to try the drench? It will move a bit more sand than the pysillium on its own
Old 08-02-11, 02:17 PM

Please tell the owner to ask the vet about starting to treat the pony for Hyperlipemia! If it doesn't have it atm it will certainly end up with it!

A stop-gap measure is to syringe a Glucodin (Dextrose) and water mix into the pony. Glucodin can usually be bought from most supermarkets or chemists.

Little ponies that go off their food are a GREAT concern! They can get very sick extremely quickly.
Old 08-02-11, 03:34 PM

I second John O'Leary's Horse Problems website. He has a recipe for treating sand colic which consists of cream, honey, etc in specific quantities. People have emailed him to say how well it works.
Old 08-02-11, 06:13 PM

Years ago when we had a sand colic the vet drenched and then we followed that with the pysillium.
one of those milk and honey recipes is:
1 lb of honey to 1 - 1 1/2 pints of milk, (scale down to pony size), havent tried it , but have heard they are helpful..
Old 08-02-11, 06:26 PM

People will jump on me, but we have had success many times.

Next time pony goes down, keep it down, balance it on its back and prop it there, hold this position for at least 30 minutes, allow pony to turn its head to the side.

Pony might not want to get up after 30 min, if so, do not make it. We have had them do this and hold the position for up to 1 hour. It might do this for 12 to 24 hrs, but we have not lost one to colic yet.

HPs' sand recipe is fantastic, we now use it twice a year and have not had any sand colic for 4 years. (Cupcakes recipe is similar)
Old 08-02-11, 06:58 PM

We use HP's recipe as well, fantastic. If your friend has Chamomile and SLippery Elm as well, make up a tea potion, with boiling water, let it cool, then syringe as much as possible down the throat. This will get things moving as well, and has worked while we have waited for the vet, who said half the time its a matter of getting the fluids down the throat. Good luc.
Old 08-02-11, 07:19 PM

Thank you so much all of you for your replies and caring about this little pony.

I have to report that after tonight's phone call.....improvement.
Vet. drenched Rose this afternoon, scanned her and is happy for my friend to give her the Milk, organic honey mixture plus anything she will eat at this stage. The vet. made up a special mixture for her as well including electrolytes, due to her tiny size, he wanted to go carefully.

Kermandie, that is the strangest thing........I was going to write up about what the mare was doing....and you have written it.
While I was there this afternoon, she lay out flat for a minute, then rolled onto her back, feet in the air (like a dogs paws) and stayed there for well over a minute.
The owner said, "she is probably trying to dislodge the sand" and voila, he was right!
I've never seen a horse stay balanced on it's back for so long.

Anyway, thank you all. Hopefully, she has turned the corner.
Old 08-02-11, 08:41 PM

Years ago my vet drenched a pony for me with Metamucil and it worked a treat so I have used it ever since with complete success .... also use Sandlube as well, if necessary.
Old 08-02-11, 09:09 PM

Amana, Lol, that is mostly psyllium isn't it?
Just noticed your avatar.
Please tell us about your pony....would love to hear...do you still drive?
There is a harness thread in training if you are interested.
Old 08-02-11, 09:33 PM

Lol, Amelie, I have photos of certain ponies here in the "belly up" position, I use it as a signal to make up the "mix", most of ours drink it from a bowl now.
Old 09-02-11, 10:31 AM

Sykes Drench if you can get hold of some. Absolutely the best thing for shifting sand. Just follow the directions on the packet.